We want to share a personal, yet somber, highlight from last week. Two weeks ago our 24-year-old son, Carter, a first year high school history teacher, tragically had an active duty fraternity (Sigma Alpha Epsilon) brother killed in Iraq. This … Continue reading
Iris Apfel, fashion icon, business woman, interior designer, has inspired so many with her wit, style-sense and sharp eye. Our friend, Sarah Wiley of Huger Memories has created a fabric pillow homage to Iris, part of Sarah’s Women We Love pillow collection.
Huger is bringing your favorite heroines home in their new limited-edition collection. Using the same unique process to create custom memory pieces, Huger artist Sarah Gibson Wiley has hand drawn photos of the iconic women and then machine stitched the photos onto hand-cut applique to then create a 21” decorative pillow. They are all available for $295 at HugerMemories.com and at Atlanta’s steve mckenzie’s shop.
Not only can you add remarkable women to your sofa, Sarah loves to create a fabric memory for her clients, be it their home or pets or family. Working with her client, Sarah gathers photographs and makes notes during the consultation – to ensure she captures the look and feel of the concept. She draws on her computer and chooses all stitches and areas of applique. A computer generated mock up is sent to her client for design clarity and approval. Once approved, Sarah selects designer fabric for applique and cotton thread to bring color and life to the drawing. Then she stitches the design on a fabric background that will then be either sewn into a pillow, or framed either by you or by her favorite Richmond framer.
We are always excited about featuring talented makers who create from the heart, such amazing pieces for the home.
Preserve a special memory with one of these hand-crafted pieces. And what a special gift!
“My goal is to bring clients joy by creating lasting memories in the form of a unique art form”. – Sarah Gibson Wiley
Start the journey towards your own custom Huger Memories piece at: https://www.hugermemories.com and tell them steve mckenzie’s sent you!
Who’s ready to choose their Christmas cards. What?? I haven’t put away my Bermuda shorts yet, you say! As a corporate wife of a Berkshire Hathaway company CEO, mom of an active family of now young adults, and all that entails, I’ve learned a few things over the years and would like to share some words of wisdom with you.
Planning ahead will save you time, money and avoid stress. Plain and simple.
Read on for my helpful tips and a Giveaway from Minted.com!
Since you may need some time to pull together photos, addresses, etc, it is really smart to start thinking about this holiday tradition now. To help you with holiday cards, here’s my easy action plan, aided by Minted.com, which provides unique images from independent artists.
- First, what card suits your family this year? Spend some time thinking about all the fun events, birthdays, milestones for your family. There are so many options these days – Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year’s. Was there a special occasion in your family this year, perhaps a wedding or big trip? Now that we’re Empty Nesters (I think that’s defined by what’s in your fridge these days which are mostly condiments, cheese and wine), holiday cards take on a different look. No matching smocked outfits, less time all together as a family, school, work and their own families happen, so there are fewer photo opportunities. If you’re going to be taking photos with the extended family at Christmas, perhaps a Happy New Year’s card suits you best.
- Schedule 15-20 minutes for a few days to go through your photos. Are the family photos on your phone? Your spouse’s phone? Did someone take a good couples photo of you at an event? Save them in a universal spot like Google photos or iPhotos.
- Delete bad photos. Never a better time than now and it frees up more space to capture new memories.
- Now that you have an idea of what the contenders are, in terms of images, develop a game plan to fill in the photo blanks. For instance, here’s my current photo summary and game plan…
- I have 0 photos of me and spouse – Someone needs to take a cute pic of us!
- Good quantity of SM, me and child #3
- Cute photos of our married kids sent to me already
- I need photos of this year’s college graduate. Who has one?
- Plenty of photos of Duke the Shop dog!
- Now for the fun part – browse your favorite online stationery source. I’m super-excited about Minted. Save your favorite unique designs with their handy heart symbol, download your photos and see how it looks in each design. Minted has a handy “Find It Fast” button where you can see your photos in several cards, making it easy to choose your favorites.
My goal is to have narrowed down my choices to three by late October and an order goal of November 5th. I’ve learned what works for me – plan ahead and diminish the panic feeling as we head toward Thanksgiving (my mailing date goal). Enjoy this time thinking about your family, and the dear friends who will enjoy your special cards. ~Jill
Bonus = A Giveaway! Minted has generously offered to share their unique designs from independent artists with a $100 Giveaway toward holiday cards. See the latest trends and updated classic holiday card designs. Click here to enter to win $100 to shop Minted! No purchase necessary and giveaway ends midnight Nov. 2nd.
This post and images (except Duke’s photos) are sponsored by Minted, but all text, and opinions are all my own.
Here’s to Labor Day – a day we hope you’re able to celebrate and relax with family and friends! steve mckenzie’s is closed for the holiday, but will reopen with regular hours tomorrow, on Tuesday, September 6th. See you soon; and until then, … Continue reading
A feeling of warmth, elegance, and comfort created by the unique juxtaposition of a mid-century modern aesthetic and the gracious sensibility that is southern living – that’s what design means to us here at steve mckenzie’s. And we’re looking forward to sharing that take on lifestyle and design here, with you, on our blog. Or, as we’re thinking of it, our digital journal. Because design is such a personal thing, so should the place where we store our thoughts and inspirations on the subject.
With these entries, we’re hoping to inspire others by sharing what inspires us. Whether it’s the finish or shape of a simple, everyday object, or an art exhibit seen halfway around the world, these findings all lead back to an easy, casual and effortless look that speaks to the aesthetic of steve mckenzie’s, and hopefully to you as well. Overall, it’s a lifestyle we love, and a love of sharing that lifestyle with others that’s led to this.
Some of our most memorable moments have been made entertaining family and friends around our dining table, and this is what influences the offerings at steve mckenzie’s more than anything. It’s a feeling we want to help create, not just a look, and that feeling is something we’re hoping to share in posts featuring much more than just the products and services offered at steve mckenzie’s. We’re taking this opportunity to share our favorite spaces, table settings, travels, art, architecture, and even people, who inspire us and enrich our lives.
From our family, to yours, welcome to the blog at steve mckenzie’s.